Tuesday 24 August 2010

Allo, Allo, Allo

I went to the Markets on and around Brick Lane (London) yesterday. I wasn't expecting it to be so big!! I nearly had a shopping swoon.


I picked up a few bargains, a cute red owl print dress for just £3, and a pink checked western (chickabilly) shirt for £2. I know… bargain or what? I just wish I'd had more money - I could have bought something on every stall.

In my last blog I spoke about going vintage with military jackets, well I found loads yesterday, and they're cheap, so get down there and get one!

We came across some great vintage police jackets. The BF got a 1960's police inspector's tailored jacket - like new for £35. Cue the taunting ' pig, rozzer, gavver' etc. BF loved it, natch.


The stall holders themselves are good for a laugh, looking like they'd just jumped out of an episode of Nathan Barley. Seriously, if you walk around wearing a pink and green Lacoste shell suit jacket and jeans with one leg rolled up revealing your PacMan tattoo, you really need to have a word with yourself.

The stalls are really varied, some people are selling handmade jewelery, hair accessories, paintings and artwork…. others are selling vintage and new clothes, shoes and bags!

And there's even little jumble bits, so you can pick up an old lens for your camera or some 1970's vinyl.

If you get there early enough, Brick Lane is lined with people selling stuff out of their suitcases, whether it's handmade stuff or just stuff they've found at the back of the their wardrobes. Generally, there is lots of stuff. Did I mention the stuff?


Amy's guide to a Sunday shopping fix….

Orange Star - Cheshire Street. Great little market, stalls of random bits - 5 lighters for 10p, Duracell batteries etc - you know the thing, but there's also some great stuff to be found and it is lined with fab little boutiques.

Blue Star - Vintage shop Rokit. One word, amazing. Check it out.

Pink Star - market just along from 93 Feet East that is like a TARDIS - go in - it's massive and got some really cute stalls in this one, you can get yourself a real bargain (it's where I got my sub £5 pieces).

Green Star - Upstairs Vintage market! It's seriously big, so give yourself a while to check this bad boy out.

Yellow Star - Old Spitalfields market, again this is huge and packed so brace yourself. It's a bit more touristy and got more hand made designery stalls, but it is worth a visit just for the atmosphere.

Oh yeah - and it's Brick Lane, so you're never more than a sniff away from the tantalising smell of food, with stalls everywhere selling anything from Bangladeshi curries to Mexican grilled steak sandwiches and pretty much everything in between.

Amy xx

4 comments:

  1. Wow I love your last post Amy! As soon as you wrote the words 'cheap' 'military' you had my full 100% attention. Brick Lane you say? I'm assuming it's a market place...do you mind telling me where abouts it is.

    I would love to pop there myself in the future :-)

    See you soon,

    Naomi.

    p.s. check out my new floral blog topic post http://kandiekissedkouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Brick Lane is in London, by Liverpool Street. It's really great, you can get some wicked bargains! So yes, go get down there and check it out, you'll love it :)

    Amy xx

    p.s. loving the new topic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel I need to go here!
    I love a good bargain, it makes it all worthwhile! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie, go there. It's amazing. I love bargains, spend my life looking for them ;)

    And thanks Dolls, shall check your blog out

    Amy xx

    ReplyDelete